Monday 10 October 2011

“By seeing London, I have seen as much of life as the world can show”


There's nothing I love more than receiving the confirmation e-mail (I know, I know, I'm a geek) from Southern Railway, telling me that a seat on the 17.03pm Eastbourne to London Victoria has been reserved for little ol' me. It's not just the confirmation e-mail that excites me, it's everything about my adventure from the moment I step out of my front door.
Even when the train is jam-packed with busy commuters, business men in sharp suits who insist on shouting at their phone/laptop/iPad and screaming children, I can't help but find peace in the crazy 90 minute train journey.
Perhaps it's the thought of escaping my ever so tiny town and causing havoc in the 'Big Smoke' for a few days or just the fact that I get to spend quality time with my best friend and her family, but I'm at my happiest as soon as the voiceover on the train states "the next station is Gatwick Airport". I know that home isn't too far away then.

Baring my geeky tendencies in mind, you can only imagine the size of my smile when I received that confirmation e-mail tonight. Because, as of Thursday, I'm disappearing off to London.
The best thing about this adventure? I booked a single ticket. I have no idea when I'm going to be coming back and I couldn't be happier.

I get to spend quality time with the girl (and her family) who has been my backbone for the past 16 years. I get to sit on the sofa I grew up on, in the house that's felt like my 2nd home since I was 3 years old, and watch music documentaries, sports and Gilmore Girls until my eyes are bleeding. I get to eat the grimiest takeaway ever, that's only available in London, and I'm going to savour every bite. I get to jump on random tubes and spend my days exploring different parts of London until my feet can't take anymore walking. I'm going to sit by Tower Bridge, people watch and write until it's time to drag myself back to that sofa. Most of all, I'm going to enjoy every minute of it.

A lot of negativity has been flying around over the past couple of weeks and an event that took place last night reminded me that although we're not here for a long time, we're here to have a good time. Hence why I'm packing my bags and running away to the District/Circle/Victoria line.

Not everybody is lucky enough to have a place to run too when things get tough, or a best friend like mine who I know will be waiting on my arrival with a cup of tea, a hug and some anecdote from 1998 when we thought we were the Spice Girls, but I'm fortunate enough to have both and I'm really grateful for that.

With that, I'm left wondering where you guys go when you're feeling a little lost. Do you have somewhere, or somebody, that makes you feel instantly better? A particular landmark, person or place that you seek solace from? Hit me back guys, I'm interested to know whether I'm the only crazy one who thinks Tower Bridge can solve my problems.

1 comment:

  1. I love this, and I love you! A single way ticket is a very exciting thing! When I'm feeling lost, I go and lay on the beach at night (no dodgy business, I promise.) Looking up at the stars makes me realise how small and insignificant my problems are, and that always helps me.

    I hope you have an amazing time! xXx

    ReplyDelete