Monday 9 April 2012

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"


As my soul-mate John Lennon once said "life is what happens while you're busy making other plans". The craziest things happen when we least expect them and that's what usually makes them so exciting; you're not prepared, you're unorganised and you have other things on your mind. It would be understatement to say that I was unprepared for what I'm about to write about. I was so far from organised that it actually hurts to think about how much I've had to do in the past 3 days.
If you want my advice, it's just a lot easier to stay where you are. Fuck moving out, screw moving to the big city, just stay put. Nothing can prepare you for the amount of dust, hidden objects you should have put in the bin and old photographs you'll come across. Nothing whatsoever.

For those of you that read my blog regularly, you'll know that moving back to London has always been a bit of a dream for me. I love the smell of the city, the different atmospheres depending on postal code, how it feels as if almost anything is possible, how easy it is to just jump on a tube and have an adventure on the underground, how stony faced some people can people while others are the kindest people you'll come across. I just love how poetic London is; the way the lights of offices filled with workers who never stop are always on, the difference between places like Chelsea and Sloane Square compared to Croydon and Hackney, the fact that something is ALWAYS happening - London doesn't slow down for anybody, or anything. It's bionic, it's magical and I'm absolutely ecstatic to write that I'm moving back there.

I've been travelling to London for job interviews since September. The train conductors on the Eastbourne - London Victoria train know me by name and whenever I get on a train, I'm always greeted with "good luck! What's it for this time?" - lovely, but annoying after the 5th interview. I always manage to get down to the final two applicants, but never further. Until this time.
I had an interview for an Administration Assistant's position within a debt collection agency on Thursday morning and by Thursday afternoon, I was declaring that I'd be leaving Eastbourne in 5 days.
Scary.

I've spent the past 4 days packing up the bedroom that has been mine for the past 7 years, saying goodbye to amazing friends and using the excuse "but I'm leaving in 48 hours" to get away with things I shouldn't be doing. I keep having to remind myself that this is what I've wanted for the past 4 years, because sometimes the emotion gets a bit too much. I'm a walking ball of tears at the moment because while I know it's not forever, and London is only a 70 minute train ride away, everything feels so final. I'm moving out.




No comments:

Post a Comment